Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A taste of Role Reversal

Before sleeping, my little boy usually demands (yes, he demands) one of three things from me-- embrace, which means I hug him to sleep; holding hands, which means I hold his little hand until he's asleep; and arms, which means he sleeps in my arms. Even if it means keeping still until he drifts off to sleep, I gladly yield to his nightly requests. I don't know what it is about me that lulls him to sleep, but whenever I'm there (doing whatever it is he requested) he falls asleep in no time.

Last night, I had a bit of difficulty sleeping. I was tossing and turning for what seemed like hours, and I still couldn't bring myself to sleep. At around 4am, I was getting tired of being awake, so I sat up and looked around me. To my left, I saw my little boy peacefully asleep, hugging his pillow. I stared at my little angel for a while then went back down to bed. This time, I took his soft, small hand in mine.

I don't know what it is about his hand that made me sleep, but that night, whatever comfort he finds in me almost every night, I found in him. That night, more than exhaustion, fatigue and weariness, it was my little boy's hand that lulled me to sleep...

2 comments:

Ailee Through the Looking Glass said...

This is a lovely, lovely post. :)

eternaloptimist said...

Thank you, thank you. *bow* ;-)