Thursday, January 25, 2007

One True Love vs. One Great Love

Yesterday, over yummy, yummy dessert in Old Spaghetti House (read: warm colossal chocolate chip walnut cookie topped with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup), my friend and I got to talk about love (yes, that cheesy thing we call love) and the concept of One True Love. My friend says that she does not believe in One True Love. She claims that we love in phases and for this reason, the fact that love ended doesn't make it less true. I agree with her on this one. All our loves are true, whether they end or not, they're real. What we felt during the time we loved is as true as true can get, and the fact that at some point that changed and ended doesn't make it untrue.

What I do believe in however, is the concept of One Great Love (I am still very much a romantic *sigh*). That love so intense, no words can fully capture its essence. So powerful, it defies reason and spins our world out of orbit. A love so great that all our other loves pale in comparison.
Yes, cheesy and unreal as it may seem, I believe in this.

To be able to feel and experience this kind of love is grace in itself, because sadly, not everyone gets to feel a love like this. Even more blessed are the few lucky ones who are loved in return by their One Great Love. To love and be loved by your One Great Love is an even rarer (is there such word?) gift. To experience that even for a while is already amazing. And yes, there are the extremely exceptional ones who end up with their One Great Love... Now, that's just heaven on earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That’s crazy to not experience this yet have so much belief & strength towards it & I respect it because I to believe in this & have experienced it myself. This post is very enlightening, I hope one day you will get with what you seek. <3