Monday, January 22, 2007

At Peace with the Cosmos

2006 was quite a challenging year for me. Not only because I had to take the dreaded bar exams, but because I had to overcome a few unexpected bumps on the road. I'd like to say I'm better than ever, but to say so would be to undermine the intensity of the emotional rollercoaster that I went through. In due time, I'd be able to honestly say that, but for now, it is enough that I'm fine and that I'm at peace with the cosmos.

Allow me to share a few insights I've learned from my experiences last year.


  • All is grace. Everything is grace. The pain, the hurt, the laughter, the joy, the love, the friendship… Everything! It’s grace. All our experiences define our person, and every new experience enriches the person that we already are. So welcome every experience and look at it with gratitude, it is an opportunity for self-improvement and growth.
  • Love and Selfishness are mutually exclusive terms. Real love is selfless. It should force us look beyond ourselves and should prompt us to make the right choices and do the right things.
  • Acceptance is the key to happiness. Life does not and will not give us everything that we want. It is up to us to accept the life that we have and to find happiness in that.
  • The truth, always. This, to me, is the cornerstone of every decent human relationship. A relationship not founded on the truth is as good as nothing. A line from the show Brothers & Sisters sums it up beautifully, "The world is too fragile for people to be untrue. There's too much at stake, and life's too short for lies." If the truth isn't there at the outset, it's never too late to come clean. Just remember, the mantra is: The truth, always.
  • Faith, Friends and Family. No challenge is too big armed with the right kind of friends, a loyal family and a strong sense of faith.
To 2007, this I have to say: Bring it on! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

peace? why, hav you asked for forgiveness and hav you been forgiven?

eternaloptimist said...

When I say peace, I did what I had to do, that includes asking for forgiveness from the people I wronged, and yes, I have been forgiven by such people. In fact, all my relationships are better than ever.

Thank you for your question.

eternaloptimist said...

Wait, let me clarify my comment. It's kinda vague... What I intended to say was, when I said I am at peace, I meant that I did what I had to do which includes asking for forgiveness. And from the looks of it, I have been forgiven. :-)