Thursday, March 1, 2007

Back to Iyengar


Last Wednesday, I was invited by my friend Awee to do Iyengar yoga with her. Since I am not really busy these days, I agreed to go with her. After all, this would be my third time (or fourth, I'm not really sure) to do yoga with her. I was thinking, how hard can it get, right? I survived my other sessions, and as long as they won't make me do headstands, I'll be fine.

So Awee and I went to LKG Tower where the classes are held. We got there at around 5:45pm, since classes for Wednesday don't start until 6:30pm, we had more than enough time to change into our yoga attire (shorts!). After changing, Awee and I went inside the studio... Lo and Behold! Nobody else was there except me, Awee, the instructor and the secretary. Great! For a beginner
like me (actually pseudo-beginner, since I attended two or three of their classes last year. Hehehe.), a really small class of three (3) isn't at all encouraging. That would mean greater scrutiny and more work... At that point, I was already beginning to feel pangs of cowardice, but I kept my poise and just kept telling myself, basta walang headstand, ok lang yan...

Awee and I went to our place in the room and set-up our area for class. We were quietly talking when Ameh (I dunno if I spelled her name right) walked in. Thank God! Nadagdagan kami. After setting-up her place, Ameh introduced herself to me and joined in on our conversation. In the course of it, she matter-of-factly says "Inversions daw tayo ngayon ah." I asked Awee if inversions meant what I thought it meant. She didn't outrightly answer, but she gave me this smile, this mischievous, wicked cum sympathetic smile... And I knew... I knew my worst yoga fears were coming true... WE WERE DOING HEADSTANDS!!! Waaaaaah!!! I was ready to pack-up and leave when the instructor (Popi) walked in and said we were going to start the class. Uh-oh... Too late. I can't leave now. And so I stayed... And stayed... And stayed... And stayed... And finished the entire session...

Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Actually, it wasn't bad at all. Popi was a very understanding teacher; she understood my limitations as a beginner and did not force me to do things beyond my body's capacity. She provided much-needed
encouragement for me to try my best. She helped me with the poses when she saw I was not executing them properly (even if at times, she couldn't help but laugh at how I was screwing up the pose. Hehe).

All in all, going back to Iyengar was fun. I enjoyed my yoga session in spite of my fear of headstands. And even if my muscles ache all over, I intend to make a weekly thing out of this (wala na akong excuse not to do yoga, last year I had the bar as an excuse). Yoga makes me feel rejuvenated and relaxed. It has this wonderful calming effect on me (similar to what I feel after a massage) that I just love... And if I end up with a vavavoom figure, that would be a very welcome bonus! :-)


No comments: